Monday, March 21, 2016

2016-03-21 Vacation Week

2 Nephi 29:7­-9

     7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

     8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

     9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

When you have your birthday, transfers, and have a hurt hip all in the same week, you get moved to Maceió. When you get moved to Maceió, exciting things happen. 

Starting with Tuesday. Woke up at 2am to catch a taxi at 3am to arrive at the bus station at 4am to wait for a bus that didn’t arrive until 6am. Traveled almost 6 hours on the bus to Maceió. I arrived in Maceió companionless, so I stayed with the group that were going to train the arriving missionaries. Then I went with Sister Mazetto (who arrived with me) and Sister Thueson (the American she is training from Salt Lake City). 

Wednesday I had Sister Gomes, the mission president’s wife, for my companion. I was in a car and A/C all day, it was very strange. I had a doctor’s appointment, she showed me the mission office, then dropped us 3 sisters off at a restaurant for lunch. 

Thursday I still didn’t have a companion so I had Sister Gomes for a 2nd day. We went with Sister Mazetto to have some medical tests done in the morning. For lunch Presidente and Sister Gomes took us out to eat ... in a mall. IN A MALL! Sister Mazetto and I were both in awe. And we had chinese food, it was brazilian chinese food but still satisfied my craving. We then dropped off Sister Mazetto and Sister Thueson at the bus station. After Sister Gomes and I went on a shopping spree. We went to 5 different stores looking for things for missionary houses: mirrors, fans, pots, pans, drying racks, etc. We even went to a Sam’s Club! I didn’t even know they existed in Brazil. And in Sam’s Club they had taco shells, the same brand in the US. After we were done shopping, Sister Gomes dropped me off at the apartment where I finally met my 2 companions, Sister Astorga and Sister Cruz.




Friday we had zone meeting, ate lunch, and had interviews with Presidente Gomes. Sister Cruz got transferred. I also got super sick and slept from 5pm Friday until 1pm Saturday, so we didn’t do anything to celebrate my birthday. But I got a card from Sister Cruz and Sister Astorga. 

Sunday at church the members were super excited to see us because it has always been Elders in their ward. One person even said to their son, “look these are missionaries just like the Elders”. All the leaders came and introduced themselves. 

So all in all it was a very different week. And it is strange because we have not done any proselyting because 1) We do not have an area and 2) Neither of us can walk long distances because I have a hurt hip and Sister Astorga has a broken foot.

Love, 
Sister Morgan Ruiz