Monday, April 18, 2016

2016-04-18 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We believe that this Church is more than just a good place to go on Sundays and learn how to be a good person. It is more than just a lovely Christian social club where we can associate with people of good moral standing. It is not just a great set of ideas that parents can teach their children at home so they will be responsible, nice people. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is infinitely more than all of these things. Think for just a minute about the profound claims we make as a religion. We believe that the same Church Jesus Christ established while on the earth has been restored once again by a prophet called of God in our time and that our leaders hold the same power and authority to act in God’s name that ancient Apostles held. It is called the priesthood of God. We claim that through this restored authority, we can receive saving ordinances, such as baptism, and enjoy the purifying and refining gift of the Holy Ghost to be with us at all times. We have apostles and prophets leading and directing this Church through priesthood keys, and we believe that God speaks to His children through these prophets. We also believe that this priesthood power makes it possible to make covenants and receive ordinances in holy temples that will someday enable us to return to the presence of God and live with Him forever. We also claim that, through this power, families can be bound together for eternity when couples enter the new and everlasting covenant of marriage in sacred buildings that we believe are literally the houses of God. We believe that we can receive these saving ordinances not only for ourselves but also for our ancestors who lived on the earth without having the chance to participate in these essential saving ordinances. We believe we can perform ordinances for our ancestors by proxy in these same holy temples.
We believe that, through a prophet and the power of God, we have received additional scriptures, adding to the testimony of that in the Bible declaring that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world.
We claim that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the kingdom of God and the only true Church on the earth. It is called the Church of Jesus Christ because He stands at the head; it is His Church, and all these things are possible because of His atoning sacrifice.
We believe that these distinguishing features can be found in no other place or organization on this earth. As good and sincere as other religions and churches are, none of them have the authority to provide the ordinances of salvation that are available in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I want to take a moment to say how grateful I am for this church. First, y’all should read the full conference talk above by Bonnie Oscarson, which is super good. I am grateful for this church. The church of Jesus Christ isn’t just a name, but a description of who is the head of this church, who leads this church, and who is the center of all things that are taught in this church. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, who sent me here to Earth to learn and grow. I am grateful for the love He has shown me my entire existence and for the blessings He has given me. I am glad that He is not only my God who I love, but my Father in the heavens, who wants me to reach my full potential. I know I can reach my full potential only through Him. I am grateful that the complete gospel and church of Jesus Christ was restored on the Earth through a boy of immense faith, Joseph Smith, who had a simple question for Heavenly Father, of which church he should affiliate himself with. I am grateful for the priesthood authority that was also restored on the Earth so that we can do the ordinances necessary to be able to live in the presence of our Heavenly Father, who has a perfect body. And I am grateful for all of you.

Love,
Sister Morgan Ruiz