Tuesday, November 24, 2015

2015-11-23 Everyone Here Thinks I'm Brazilian - Part 2

Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. And when desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; 
nevertheless, know in whom have trustedMy God hath been my supporthe hath 
led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. He hath filled me with his loveeven unto theconsuming of my flesh. Rejoice, my heartand cry unto the Lord,  and say: OLord, will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation. (2 Nephi 4:17,19-21,30)

They do not have daylight savings time here, so the sun is up before 5am and down by 6pm.

Everyone here thinks I am Brazilian, and no one believes me that I am American until I start speaking Portuguese. Even though I do not know what is going on most of the time, God still gives me the words that people need to hear. 

My companion is Sister Neves. She has 11 brothers and 1 sister. She is from São Paulo and has been here for 1 year. She does not speak any english, so it is difficult at times. 
 
We are teaching a group of teenage boys and they love American pop music. One of them loves Katy Perry, the other Lana del Ray, and another Arianna Grande. They also have a friend who is a member who loves Britney Spears. So they always try to ask me questions about them, but I do not really know a whole lot about them. All I know is Taylor Swift, but none of them really like her. 
 
We have taught a lot of investigators about the plan of salvation this week, and everytime their eyes light up. In one lesson we talked about how our bodies and spirits will be reunited, and we can return to live with Heavenly Father, and she was so facinated by it. In another we talked about eternal families with a couple who has a daughter, and now they are making plans to be civilly married so they can be baptized.

Love,
Sister Morgan Ruiz