Tuesday, May 19, 2015

2015-05-18 The Call



Okay, so unlike most people, I was not anticipating the hour my letter would come. Don't get me wrong, I was very excited, but I didn't want to jinx anything so I didn't think about it. In the middle of the waiting was finals, packing, moving back home, and unpacking... so I had a lot of other things to fill my time. It did however come unexpected. 
So let me just lay out the day for you. On May 18, 2015 I woke up at 7:00am, and left the house at 7:30. Where was I going? To the dentist... to get my wisdom teeth pulled out. Needless to say, the rest of the day I was sort of out of it. I laid in my bed or on the couch the rest of the day very confused with what was going on with the world. Then around 4:00pm my mother comes into the room very excited. She was holding a big white envelope saying "it's here, it's here, your mission call is here". So I waited until my dad got home around 6:00pm to open the call. It was just my family in the room as I read it. As you can guess I opened it very quickly and read it very clearly... Totally kidding, I was struggling A LOT just to open the envelope, and when it came to reading the letter, I was mumbling the whole thing. 
Dear Sister Ruiz:
...You are assigned to labor in the Brazil Maceio Mission...You should report to the Brazil Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, September 30, 2015. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Portuguese language....
And at that moment I started crying in the video that was taken of me. I don't know what happened after that because there was no video footage and I was still drugged up on pain killers. 
The next day, I was still kind of out of it, and I wasn't really sure if I had gotten my call or if it was all just a dream. But then when I turned on my phone it was on my photos app and there was a video of me opening my call.